The next ten years were devoted to developing my photographic style. I explored all areas of photography – landscape, street, food, portraiture, family, architecture, theatre – you name it, I tried it. Besides the growth I experienced as an artist, I feel blessed to have all the moments that were important to me recorded forever.
These days I know who I am with a camera as both a creator and service provider. I only work in areas that light me up and challenge me to do my best.
My purpose is to enrich people’s lives through photography. I love working with families and businesses to capture their personality in meaningful photographs that tell the true story of who they are. I also teach amateur photographers how to capture their life in beautiful photos.
That’s me in the middle, with my sister and mum on our first overseas trip to see my Dad’s American family at age 5.
I recall my Mum seeing the field of Californian poppies and saying let’s pull over and get a picture.
Apparently I still like rolling around in random fields.
This one was on the tiny Greek island of Antiparos.
I believe photographs tell us who we are, where we come from, they take us back in time and they remind us of details otherwise forgotten. Every image tells a story by itself, and each collection tells the full story.
The common thread is the human story. What gets you out of bed in the morning? The cool thing is that your story is right there, you don’t have to ‘do’ anything in particular. I create a safe space so my clients can do/be/say all the stuff that’s required to get their story captured in a way that’s true for them.
Great photography isn’t expensive, it’s priceless and totally worth it for the long term value it brings whether it be in a personal capacity with your family or in a business sense for your customers.
Some things you may not know about me
1. BA (Commercial Art Photography) RMIT University 1999 (one of 40 in my year of 800 applicants)
2. Associate Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP)
3. Regular participant in Continuing Professional Development activities, seminars and professional events
4. Multiple Award Winner Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP)
5. Published in Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP) Awards books and Australian Commercial and Media Photographers (ACMP) Annual Awards books
6. Runner up ACT AIPP Family Photographer of the Year Award 2011
7. 14 years professional experience in wedding, family, business, events, performance/theatre, travel
8. Exhibited in various shows including Leaving Traces and Bottling Memories in Canberra & Berlin
9. I lead two amateur photography groups: Photography in Berlin and The Melbourne Walk & Shoot Group
10. Share my knowledge with digital SLR users in my camera workshops
11. I teach amateur photographers how to unlock their creativity in my Creative Camera Course
12. Donate my photography services once per year to a worthy cause eg Autism Asperger ACT Gala
…and some stuff that clients have said about their experience of being photographed ‘BJP style’….
I live in beautiful Melbourne, Australia. It’s my home. Canberra is my home away from home – my family lives there and so do many of my older clients that known me from the very beginning. I have family clients in far flung places like New York City, Ottawa, Toronto, London, Berlin, Hamburg, Cape Town, Sydney…and other lesser know places. Berlin is my inspirational playground. If the planets align then once a year I go mid-year… that said, I’m focusing on Australia for 2014.
I’m a travel junkie and happily accept travel commissions, anytime, anywhere. So, for example, if you’re in Perth and would like me to come, that’s easy, just flick me a line, let’s look at our schedules and tee it up. Or, if you’re up for something more ambitious (ie, global) – a plane ride is never that big a deal to me. A little bit of planning is all it takes.
This map was found here.